First Day Home
The new addition to your family has undergone stress with each new change in his/her environment. Your pet will require a few days to settle in, but some simple tips will make transition easier.
- Some pets will drool after a car ride. Allow the pet to settle once you have reached home. Activity should be a minimum.
- Provide access to fresh water but do not feed the pet for the first four hours.
- Avoid milk, table scraps and canned food - they may cause diarrhea.
- Establish your house-training routine as soon as possible - i.e. set up a litter box in a small room with food and water, or introduce your dog to its new crate and the yard.
- Introduce other household pets slowly. Dogs should be leashed and allowed to sniff each other under your control. Cats will hiss but usually keep their distance.
- Seek veterinary advice as soon as possible (within 7 days). Having your new pet neutered or spayed will help reduce the number of unwanted animals at the shelter.
- Read your pet guides, know what to do to keep your pet healthy and happy.
Please read the following for specific information about cats and dogs. You may access these articles by clicking on the text of the title.
Your New Dog
Your New Cat